Friday, June 26, 2009

A sad day for music

It was sad to see Farrah Fawcett lose her long and strenuous battle against cancer yesterday. I was shocked later in the day when I heard of the death of Michael Jackson. My first reaction was disbelief. Surely, he wasn't done yet. He just booked 50 shows in London. They were all sold out and the king of pop was going to do what he does best, perform his music.

When I realized that the news story was real I felt sad. Sad about the loss of a true and great artist that has influenced music and all of us in so many ways. There are few people who had such a huge impact on music as we know it today. Michael wrote and published such ground-breaking songs in the 80s that changed the musical landscape forever. His greatest hits are timeless and I cannot say that about many artists from the past 30 years.

My thoughts are with both Michael's and Farrah's families. Every death is a tremendous loss.

Unfortunately, in recent times Michael was more in the spotlight for his alleged behavior with children. To this day I don't know if any of it is true or not and I leave this to others to judge. What I know is that Michael had a rough childhood and he probably never had the chance to work through issues that were caused by that. But when it comes to celebrities, everyone is fair game in our society and every action in the public and private life will be observed through a magnifying glass until it is distorted.

Let's remember one of the greatest musicians of the late 20th century, the king of pop for his musical legacy. It lives on through all of us, especially the ones growing up during his years of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment