Monday, June 22, 2009

A lesson in music

When people hear that I play guitar quite a few times they asked me for lessons. I usually respond that I don't give lessons. This does not mean that I won't be posting instructional videos for everyone's pleasure and entertainment at some point. I might just do that. There are a number of reasons why I don't sit down and teach.

It is very hard to keep a steady income going with a private practice and positions at music schools are rare and not very well paid. Also, a network of contacts is necessary but by moving from country to country and continent to continent it is hard to establish one. I have created an online network with people from all over the world but that hardly counts for my immediate environment.

My main interest is music and most students are looking for quick lessons on the instrument. This sounds snobbish and arrogant but it is not. Just like there are kindergarten teachers and college professors there are people that like to teach others the first steps on an instrument or broaden the mind of an advanced player. Also, this doesn't mean that I'm the greatest player and guitar guru. But I have a wealth of knowledge and experience in the musical field.

If you want to learn to play guitar mainly to play Metallica riffs I would like to join you and play those riffs with you but I wouldn't have much to teach you. One of the most important things to do for you is to listen and in this case transcribe the music you want to play.

It is important for beginners to learn about theory but to many it is boring and in the case above the student won't benefit from it. In other words I would be driving my Metallica fan student away by introducing material that he/she is not interested in.

Once the student decides that just playing Metallica is not enough it gets interesting. Now I could provide further reaching information that would help the student develop their own musicality. Unfortunately, this brings me back to the first point where in the end not enough students would be left to have a successful teaching practice.

At this point there are too many things in my life that I barely have time for and I cannot shell out a couple of hours a night to give just a few lessons. Lessons take preparation time. I do engage in information exchange and embrace every conversation when people have questions or asking for my opinion.

The most important thing for the aspiring player are a set of good ears, an open mind and the conviction to dive into one of the greatest adventures which is called music. Learn to read, learn to listen, learn the theory and practice. It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment