Thursday, August 20, 2009

What If

What if or what would have been are not questions that I ask myself very often. In general, these questions refer to choices we have made in our lives where we are in control. When looking back, we can reflect on the choices we made because we see how they turned out. Even though I can think of a lot of significant moments in my life where it could have gone left or right or green or blue I am very happy with where I am at and what I do. Although I sometimes ask myself what would have happened if I had started gigging with X or played with Y I usually stop myself pretty quickly because I wouldn't have met my wife or we wouldn't have had our kids. So even if I spoke of choices earlier I do believe in destiny.

Last week, a very prominent figure in the music world died. Les Paul had probably more influence on the shape of modern popular music than Elvis and The Beatles together. Although he made numerous inventions, there are two that overshadow everything: the development of the electric guitar and the multi track recording device.

Granted, if it wasn't him someone else would probably have created similar instruments at the time. But it was his vision and perseverance that turned his equipment into the major successes that they were and still are to this day.

Both inventions are very important to me since I consider the electric guitar my primary instrument and I love nothing more than recording guitar tracks in my home studio.

I find it amazing that his passion for music had driven Les Paul to a constant stream of innovations. His creativity never stopped which especially shows in his music. He performed on a weekly basis in a club in New York until he died at age 94.

Thank you, Mr. Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment