Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Independent Artists

Do you like to hear new music? Do you like to discover new artists that you haven't heard before? Are you getting excited when an unknown song grabs you by the ears and doesn't let go? You have to play the song over and over again and feel the need to tell all of your friends about it? Well, you're in luck because the internet offers endless possibilities of music discovery. In fact, there is such a wealth of undiscovered artists out there that you will be overwhelmed by the mere thought of trying to find something. The available music streaming and download services use complicated algorithms to determine similarity in music and artists based on information that you feed them about your favorite artists, playlists and other available data. Sometimes they compare your taste to the tastes of other listeners. In the end, this method can work out or completely fail. Since every person perceives music in a different way and every artist puts their own talent and creativity into their music it is hard to find a common denominator. In many cases I can appreciate someone's talent and ability of playing an instrument or writing a song but the emotional content of the song might not appeal to me at all. Or there can be a beautiful song out there but I don't like the singer's voice. The reasons why our favorites are our favorites are manifold. I usually enjoy the artists the most that I stumble upon by accident. Something draws me in to hit that play button on the stream on a profile page.

At this point I would like to introduce a few artists to you that I came across over the last year that I find intriguing, fascinating and that I can't stop listening to. This is just an overview but I am working on reviews of their CDs and music in future posts. One thing that all the following artists have in common is that they venture outside the mainstream and make no compromises when creating their music. Their sound is unique and identifiable.

When I started out on MySpace with my page I received a friend request from Jesse Adams. Since I didn't know him I checked out his page and I was surprised to find a great variety of styles and sounds in his music. Although he describes his music as metal and experimental there is so much more. Jesse has the talent of creating music based on themes, emotions and images. In some songs he is a sound architect creating a beautiful atmosphere by blending guitars with keyboards in syncopated rhythms and unconventional harmonies. Did I mention that he plays all the instruments himself? Drums, bass, guitars, keyboards and he can sing. Listen to "Home" and imagine you are sitting on the front porch of a farm in the Midwest on a lush summer night. The crickets are singing their song and a slow guitar tells the story of life at a different pace. On other songs Jesse can be funny or rocking out. His first CD will be available at the end of the month.

Another one of my early MySpace acquaintances is Karen Stever. In early 2008 Karen released her debut Playground Isolator. If you missed some depth and emotion in your musical diet lately you have to check it out. Working as a producer with Frank Gryner in Los Angeles, Karen uses the tools she has available to create a fantastic sound. This album is a rollercoaster ride that you have to experience to believe. The music has a hard rocking beat with lots of dynamics from orchestral arrangements to quiet piano accompaniments. Karen's vocals are sensational and incredibly versatile.

Just recently I heard music from Jennifer Spengler. I have to admit that I need to do my homework and research her CD availability but I'm sure she has one for sale. Think Tori Amos with electronic beats Jennifer creates the most hauntingly beautiful songs. The first time I listened to "Miss Mercury" the hook stuck with me over the next several days. Her message is emotional yet powerful, a true gem. Jennifer does all the programming herself as well as the keyboards and piano. Top it off with her immaculate vocals and addiction could very well be a side effect.

When I played a show with Reigning Heir at Pop's in Sauget, IL Tunghook was another band on the roster. They are a great band playing some serious metal. When I checked out their singer and guitar player Matt Tebow's page a few days later I was blown away by his solo stuff. What a professional musician with several solo and band releases. Heavy and groovy guitar riffs are chasing each other. In addition, Matt sings beautiful melodies with an incredible voice. Go listen!

Last but not least I would like to introduce Featured on Fridays. If you ever wondered what power trio means and what it sounds like I have the answer. It sounds like Brev Sullivan shredding the most mind boggling solos out of his guitar while Crystal Fawn's bass keeps pumping and Etienne's drumming makes a horde of elephants jealous. Yep, it's that good. Stay tuned for the upcoming release of their debut CD. It's worth the wait. It's metal chicken pickin' at its best.

Now go and check out these fantastic artists before I think of many more.

1 comment:

  1. hi again, Nils! Wow, thanks for the groovy review!!! I'll have to listen to those other artists that you found so interesting, as well! Thanks for keeping the music alive!
    Crystal Fawn

    ReplyDelete